Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Web Accessibility Page

In this assignment, I explored principles of web accessibility.  While my project focused on alternative input devices for those with physical disabilities, the assignment also included an introduction to other accessibility issues, particularly for those with colorblindness or visual impairments.  The page was required to meet the guidelines set out by section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.  In addition to reading the sets of guidelines, I used Cynthia Says and WAVE to check my page for compliance and used a screen reader to check the structure of my page.  As a result, I developed an understanding of web accessibility well beyond the particular topics covered by my page.

The principles of web accessibility will certainly be important when I build web pages for use in my classroom, but the application of these principles goes well beyond my web design efforts.  When I select web sites for use in my classroom, I need to look for the same kind of accessibility I worked on providing to ensure that all of my students will be able to use the tools I point them to.  Not only do I have some background in what makes a website accessible, I have some knowledge of the tools some students may be using to access the web, whether they are visually or physically impaired, and can plan web-based lessons to work seamlessly with these tools when needed.

Web Accessibility Hotlinks Page

No comments:

Post a Comment