Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Jigsaw Activity

This project, like many in the 502 course, focused on two main skills.  First, in the area of web design, I learned how to include and format tables using HTML and CSS.  Second, this project introduced me to Elliot Aronson's jigsaw model and how to incorporate Internet resources into that model.

While I hadn't looked at Aronson's specific model prior to this project, I have used jigsaw activities with my students, so was already familiar with the basic model.  When I've done jigsaws, I have primarily have students rely primarily on the textbook, which means my struggling readers who have a reading level several grades below the textbook contribute very little to their expert groups.  By shifting these activities online, I can give my students access to a much wider array of resources at a range of reading levels, allowing those who struggle with reading to play a more active role in the research.

In this project, I also spent some time considering how to have students record and store the information.  Currently, each of my 9th grade students maintains a science notebook, which provides a very natural place for students to copy and complete a table which summarizes the information from the activity.  Within a few years, my district will likely begin implementing a 1-to-1 device program and a paper notebook may make much less sense.  I did some very brief research on digital alternatives to the style of science notebook I use and created a simple Google Document which students can copy to their own account to complete.  I  only scratched the surface when it comes to options for taking an interactive notebook into the digital realm and will definitely be exploring this in more depth.  

Friction Jigsaw Activity

No comments:

Post a Comment