Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Netiquette Page

Netiquette refers to the rules of etiquette for online contexts.  In this project, I explored many of the common rules of netiquette to design and write a page I could use to introduce to my students to behavioral expectations for online work.  I put the expectations in the language of the "Titan Way", the Positive Behavior Intervention Strategies (PBIS) framework used in my school so that when I share the page with students, the language will be consistent with other behavioral expectations  within the school.

Most of the rules of netiquette I ran across were already familiar to me from my own use of the Internet, so most of the time I spent writing the content was used to reframe these rules within the Titan Way.  This project also started me thinking about how best to introduce the topic to students.  In a traditional classroom, I typically send a portion of the first class period reviewing the syllabus and going over my expectations for the students.  In an online or blended environment, it may be easier to take the time for a discussion of the expectations where my netiquette page serves as a starting point, rather than a static set of rules.

In terms of technical skills, this website was my second webpage created using an original CSS document and my first use of an aside box.

Netiquette Page

No comments:

Post a Comment