Saturday, July 26, 2014

Theoretical Foundations of Educational Technology: Final Reflection

1. What were the most important things I learned this semester?
            The coursework I completed to obtain my teaching license included only a brief overview of educational theory.  As a result, I’ve heard terms such as constructivism, cognitive development theory, and behaviorism, but had no more than a superficial understanding of the terms.  While this course hasn’t turned me into an expert in theories of education, I now have a much clearer understanding of those terms.  This has helped me to see the purpose behind instructional approaches I’ve seen or used without knowing where it comes from or why it works.

2. How was my teaching impacted by what I learned or experienced this semester?
            Two major themes will stick with me moving forward.  First, I spent a lot of time this semester focused on constructivism, particularly discovery learning.  The approaches associated with these theories are frequently used in science and examining the theory behind these approaches has reinforced by commitment to constructivism.

3. Will I use the projects, skills, or ideas from this course in my teaching?  If so, how?
            A recurring theme in the research on discovery learning is what effective scaffolds look like.  While I’ve made some progress through trial and error, my reading this semester has helped me to understand the particular challenges students face, as well as some of the ways they can be addressed.  This understanding will also provide me a lens through which to evaluate the technology I bring into my classroom.  A clearer knowledge of what scaffolds students need to be successful in a constructivist environment, as well as a clearer understanding of what a constructivist environment looks like, will allow me to select and implement technology effectively.

4. Select three projects.  How do these projects demonstrate my mastery of the AECT standards?
            The three most significant products in this course were the learning theories overview paper, the annotated bibliography, and the synthesis paper, which all address similar AECT standards.
            First, these assignments addressed instructional systems design (1.1) in that I developed a background in different learning theories, which is required to identify the underlying theory in an instructional model and address the implications, one of the performances indicated by the AECT.  In the learning theories paper in particular, I had to identify a particular instructional model which fit with the theory I selected.

            In addition to standard 1.1, the annotated bibliography and synthesis paper also addressed computer-based technologies (2.3) and integrated technologies (2.4).   The descriptions of these two standards repeatedly mention selecting appropriate and effective technologies.  These two assignments bridged the gap between a theory of learning and technology in the classroom.  By explicitly connecting theory to technology, I am now better equipped to determine what will constitute effective and appropriate technologies for my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment