Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Teacher's Role in Project-Based Learning

In most school settings, teachers are viewed as dispensers of knowledge, there to pass our content expertise on to the next generation.  Project-based learning, however, requires something very different from teachers.  As students explore and discover on their own, the teacher's role becomes that of facilitator, there to use our content expertise to keep students headed in the right general direction.

I use a lot of inquiry activities in my curriculum and, with time, have gotten better at stepping back to gently guide, rather than firmly lead, my students in the desired direction.  Most of these activities last only a day or two and students explore a small topic within fairly well-defined parameters.  My PBL unit, by contrast, will likely take around three weeks with students exploring some very big ideas in a much broader way than a stand-alone inquiry lab allows.  My skills in leading inquiry will not only be utilized, but challenged and developed as I learn to take on that role when it comes to the big picture, not just the daily learning target.

There are two key skills I've used when teaching inquiry lessons that will be very useful when I try PBL.  First, I've gotten better at asking the right questions.  The right question can get students to put the pieces together, get a group unstuck, or push a student to a deeper understanding, all without the teacher actually providing any information.  A good question from the teacher helps students see alternative ways to think about a problem without actually telling them what to do.  The skill of asking students just the right question is critical in any form of inquiry, including PBL.

Second, I've had to learn to keep my hands off (both literally and metaphorically).  Every teacher knows the moments when a student just can't seem to reach the big idea behind an activity or when a kid simply doesn't get how to perform some task, whether on paper or with equipment in the lab.  At those times, it can seem irresistible to write something for the student, manipulate the equipment for them, or just give them the answer.  But any of these actions will reduce the student's sense of ownership over their work and take responsibility for learning away from the student.  Part of the point of using PBL is to give students ownership and responsibility for their learning, so teachers must be especially careful to avoid diluting that sense. 

To make it possible to keep your hands in your pockets, you need to make sure students have the skills to be successful.  This means a lot of scaffolding.  My physical science students have had very limited exposure to PBL and other open-ended, inquiry-based instructional methods, meaning the challenge can seem overwhelming at first glance.  Currently, I provide significant scaffolding for the inquiry labs early in the term, and gradually remove supports as students become more skilled.  I plan to take a similar approach with my PBL unit.  The first days of the project are relatively structured, but as the project progresses, students have more flexibility in how they approach a given stage.  I've also decided to include daily tasks to ensure that groups stay on pace to complete the project in the allotted time.  I will need to be on alert for any struggles that many groups are facing so I can provide brief instruction or additional scaffolding as needed.  I also should be prepared for groups to go in a direction I did not expect, which may require me to remove some planned scaffolding or adjust my daily checkpoints to accommodate.

Teaching in a PBL or other inquiry environment is a very different challenge than the classic sage on the stage, but the benefits to students make it well worth trying a new approach.  I can't wait to get out of my students' way and let their curiosity and creativity drive the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment