Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Virtual Field Trip

This project was my first introduction to the virtual field trip model.  In addition, it was my first foray into using a variety of multimedia in my websites.  For this project, I went beyond the links and images I'd used previously, and incorporated audio, video, a Java widget, and an interactive simulation.

Working on this project made it clear to me the importance of clear planning when building a web site as opposed to a single, stand alone web page.  In my previous projects for this course, I did very little advance thinking and would simply put my content into Dreamweaver with very little thought behind the tags I used.  Often, as I worked on the CSS, I realized a different tag would work better for a certain element, but it was simple to make the change.

I started this project in a very similar way and built the skeleton of all five pages before working on the styling of the site.  Once I began the CSS, I changed some tags as usual, but quickly realized keeping track of those changes across five different pages was tricky.  I believe my poor planning significantly increased the time I needed for this project.  This experience was not a bad thing; I am now much more aware of the importance of careful planning when putting together a website and will take a more deliberate approach on future projects.

Virtual Field Trip

No comments:

Post a Comment